Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bopping around to Mates of State


I'm a firm believer that when you find some truely amazing music, something you really love, then you should share it, especially if it is more of an indie band/musician. I think it is good to share your knowledge of what makes you so happy and gets you into it so much. Lately I've been very into Mates of State. I started listening to them quite a while back, but lately I've been looking into more of their stuff, and I just love it. You should check them out right meow.

I actually saw them play a show in Kalamazoo last weekend which was amazing since good bands rarely come here. They played at the State Theater, and I had never been there. That place is so beatiful and old and just all around great. It just felt very cool to be in there with the architecture and decor,quite grandiose.

IMG_5184

The show was the Barking Tuna Fest that's put on by the WMU radio station WIDR with some other random bands. Weird name I know. Mates was the headliner and definitely the highlight.

IMG_5199

I enjoyed them so much that night that the next morning I was going to try talk to my boyfriend into going to see their next show that night in Detroit since he lives near there. He was totally a good sport and said he would. So I drove two hours at the drop of a hat to go see one more show. Hey it was the weekend, and I love the spontaneity. I'm totally glad I did because it was another fun night of bopping around to one of my favorite bands live directly in front of my face.

All in all a good weekend, and I came away with 2 great concert-going experiences and a very cool new Mates t-shirt. It's purple.
tshirt

2 comments:

Erica said...

Sounds like you had a blast! :)

P.S. Why did you not inform me of lolguna beach blog/Twitter? It's hilarious!

Alexis said...

Haha probably because I completely forgot about that blog myself. So thanks for reminding me. I'm pretty sure you're right that it is downright hilarious.